Banana Bread without Brown Sugar is how my grandmother always made the recipe, and it's delicious.
The recipe starts with two ripe bananas, and the bread could not be any easier to make!
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you decide to purchase through my link, I may earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you.
Why you'll love this super moist banana bread
A great way to use up overripe bananas - I'm super snobby about eating bananas. They have to be the perfect ripeness, or I won't eat them alone, so this bread saves the old bananas from going to the trash.
Homemade goodness - Making banana bread with walnuts from scratch allows you to ensure it's made with wholesome, quality ingredients.
Easy recipe - This easy banana bread recipe is made with just 8 simple ingredients you probably have in your pantry (outside the bananas). In just 10 minutes, you can whip up the batter for delicious homemade sweet bread.
You can find a complete list of ingredients in the recipe card below.
- Flour - I use all-purpose flour for all my baked goods. I have not used whole wheat flour or almond flour.
- Baking Soda - Essential for light and airy bread. No baking powder is needed.
- Butter - I use room temperature, not melted butter.
- Ripe Bananas - Yes, they need to be very ripe. See tip section on how to ripen bananas quickly.
- White Sugar - Yep, just white sugar.
- Eggs - You'll want your eggs to be at room temperature. If you forgot to set them out, run them under warm water for a few minutes.
- Walnuts - Substitute your favorite nut or leave them out if you prefer.
How to make delicious banana bread
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray an 8×4 inch loaf with nonstick baking spray.
Step 2: Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Step 3: In a large bowl or a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar together. Next, mix in mashed bananas and vanilla.
Step 4: Turn the mixer low and slowly add the dry ingredients. Add in walnuts with a wooden spoon.
Step 5: Pour mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes or until the internal temperature is 205 degrees.
Step 6: Cool banana bread for 10 minutes in the pan. This will make it easier to remove the bread from the loaf pan.
Carefully remove the loaf from the pan and place it on a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, cut the bread into individual slices.
Yes, you ca freezer banana bread batter. Add the batter to a gallon-size freezer bag and get as much air out of the bag as possible. Note the date and recipe name on the bag, and then double bag for the best results.
Yes, you can substitute equal amounts of shortening for the butter in banana bread.
Yes, you can use thawed bananas in banana bread.
Place bananas on a baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees for about 15 - 20 minutes until the peel is black. Let them cool completely before using.
Yes, the banana bread batter can be made into muffins. Spoon the batter evenly into each cup or liner, about ¼ cup per muffin. Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes, then lower the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 12 - 15 minutes or until the internal temperature is 200 degrees.
How to eat banana bread
There are so many ways to serve this delicious bread, here are just a few ways:
- Serve banana bread with softened butter or cream cheese and a cup of coffee or tea.
- You could also drizzle honey or maple syrup over a warm slice for extra sweetness.
- Garnish with fresh fruit like sliced bananas or berries.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream to the bread.
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread: Add chocolate chips to your banana batter for a blend of chocolate and banana flavors.
- Peanut Butter Banana Bread: Incorporate peanut butter into your batter for a rich nutty twist, or drizzle warm peanut butter over the top a individual slice of banana bread.
- Nutella Banana Bread: Swirl in Nutella for a decadent treat.
- Coconut Banana Bread: Mix shredded coconut or sprinkle it on the top for a tropical touch.
- Add fruit and vegetables: Fold in blueberries, apples, carrots, or zucchini. All add to the moisture of the bread.
- Vegan Banana Bread Recipe: Try this Vegan Chocolate Swirl Banana Bread.
Countertop: To keep your banana bread moist, wrap the loaf or any leftover slices in plastic wrap and store it in an airtight container. It will be good at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Freezer: For best results, wrap the loaf in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place it in a sealed freezer bag. Store in the freezer for up to three months.
Use ripe bananas - The riper they are, the better!
How to ripen bananas in the oven
If you don't have black peel bananas, place them on a baking sheet and cook at 300 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes. Let the bananas cook completely before mashing.
Do not overcook - Use an instant read thermometer to ensure you don't overcook the banana bread. The bread is done when it reaches 200 degrees..
Don't over chop the nuts - Don't pulverize your nuts. It's best to give them a rough chop.
Prepare the loaf pan- Lining the loaf pan with parchment paper will make lifting the loaf out easier, but it's not necessary if you spray the loaf pan generously with cooking spray.
Want to make muffins? - Using a 12-count muffin pan, spoon the batter evenly into each cup or liner, about ¼ cup per muffin. Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes. Lower the oven to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 12 - 15 minutes or until the internal temperature is 200 degrees.
More sweet desserts
Coconut Pecan Cookies - You will love the chewy texture created from the combination of sweetened shredded coconut, chopped pecans, and a rich buttery dough.
Cinnamon Roll Cookies - This chewy cook is thick, soft, and has all the flavor of a cinnamon roll but in the form of a delicious cookie!
Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake - This delicious cake proves that you can, in fact, have your cake for breakfast and eat it too.
Delicious Banana Nut Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray an 8×4 inch loaf with nonstick baking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.1 ¼ cup Flour, 1 tsp Baking Soda, ½ tsp Salt
- In a large bowl or a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar together. Next, mix in mashed bananas and vanilla.½ cup Butter, 1 cup Sugar, 2 large Ripe Bananas, 2 Eggs
- Turn the mixer low and slowly add the dry ingredients. Add in walnuts with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes or until the internal temperature is 200 degrees.¾ cup Walnuts
- Cool banana bread for 10 minutes in the pan. This will make it easier to remove the bread from the loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 - 50 minutes or until the internal temperature is 205 degrees. Carefully remove the loaf from the pan and place it on a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, cut the bread into individual slices