One-Pot Chicken Fajita Skillet is perfect for a quick and easy weeknight dinner. It's loaded with perfectly marinated chicken, mixed with colorful bell peppers and sliced onion then finished with fresh lime juice, cilantro and avocado.
HEALTHY DINNER OPTION
Yes, it sure is and it's one of my favorites Mexican recipes to make. With lean chicken, fresh vegetables and a simple marinade, this easy Chicken Fajita Skillet creates a healthy satisfying dinner for any day of the week.
ONE-POT FAJITA SKILLET VARIATIONS
Flank or skirt steak is the best cut of beef for fajitas. Marinate the beef just like the chicken and cook to desired temperature. Be careful not to overcook or the steak will become tough. Especially flank steak.
Shrimp Fajitas are so flavorful and easy to make. Again, marinate the shrimp just like you would the chicken, but be extremely careful not to overcook the shrimp. It should only take 4-5 minutes until shrimp are pink and opaque.
Quesadilla Chicken Fajitas
Fill a flour tortilla with chicken, onions, peppers and add some cheese. Throw on a griddle for a cheesy fajita quesadilla. My family loves to lots of cheese!
We serve fajitas in warm tortillas topped with avocado, cheese and my Easy Mexican Salsa. Other great options would be fresh corn on the cob, sour cream, cilantro and green onions.
This marinade is similar to my Easy Taco Seasoning Mix, but with the addition of fresh lime juice and olive oil.
HOW TO MAKE ONE-POT CHICKEN FAJITA SKILLET
In a small bowl, mix Chili Powder, Cumin, Oregano, Fresh Lime Juice, Olive Oil Cayenne and Pepper.
Toss chicken in marinade until well coated. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Remove chicken from marinade and discard any extra that may be left.
Heat oil over medium high heat in large cast iron or non-stick skillet. Get skillet incredibly hot before adding chicken.
Add chicken to pan and cook for 5 - 7 minutes. Do not disturb the chicken for at least 5 full minutes. If the chicken releases easily it is ready to turn.
Turn chicken and cook another 5 - 7 minutes. Remove from pan and let rest. Chicken is ready to eat when it reaches 160 degrees. It's ok if the chicken is not cooked completely through as it will continue to cook while it rests and will go back in the skillet after the vegetables are cooked.
Add 2 tsp olive oil, peppers and onions to skillet. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, until they are slightly tender.
Cut chicken in thin slices and return to pan with juice from half a lime.
Cover and cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
Serve in warm flour or corn tortillas with your favorite toppings.
ONE-POT CHICKEN FAJITA SKILLET
Chicken Fajita Skillet
- 1 lb Chicken Breast
- 2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
- 2 Tbsp Olives Oil
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
Peppers and Onions
- Avocado Sliced
- Green Onion Diced
- In a small bowl, mix Chili Powder, Cumin, Oregano, Fresh Lime Juice, Olive Oil Cayenne and Pepper. Toss chicken in marinade until coated, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil over medium high heat in large cast iron or non-stick skillet. Heat for several minutes before adding chicken.
- Add chicken to pan and cook for 5 - 7 minutes. Do not disturb the chicken once it is in skillet for 5 full minutes. If the chicken releases easily it is ready to turn.
- Flip chicken and cook another 5 - 7 minutes. Remove from pan and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 tsp olive oil, peppers and onions to skillet. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, until they are slightly tender.
- Cut chicken in thin slices and return to pan with juice from half a line.
- Cover and cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Serve in tortillas and with your favorite toppings.
Elizabeth L Koechner
So easy and so yummy!
I made your chicken fajitas skillet for dinner tonight and it was super easy. But more than that it was unbelievably good! Will definitely be making this again soon.
Super yummy! Adding this to my dinner rotation.
Super easy and yummy!
I love that this is simple and healthy as well. Great recipe!
I love that this was so simple to make but healthy as well - great recipe!