Taco lovers, rejoice! You can now enjoy the mouthwatering goodness of tacos without compromising your heart health.
Say goodbye to high-sodium store-bought seasoning packets and say hello to a homemade taco seasoning recipe (with no salt). It's perfect for your favorite taco recipes!
Original Post April 2020 | Updated August 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you decide to purchase through my link, I may earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you.
- Why you'll love making homemade taco seasoning
- Main Ingredients
- How to make an easy low sodium taco seasoning mix recipe
- Simple taco seasoning for ground beef
- Easy grilled chicken recipe
- Storing Taco Seasoning
- How to use taco seasoning with no salt
- DIY taco seasoning gift idea
- More spice blend recipes
- Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe (No Salt)
Why you'll love making homemade taco seasoning
- It's made with pantry staples: You probably have all the ingredients in your pantry right now.
- Flavorful: When making tacos or southwest dishes, flavor is king. This seasoning adds fantastic flavor to beef, chicken, or fish.
- No Fillers: Grocery store taco seasoning packets contain fillers and ingredients with words you can't pronounce. Homemade means pure, natural spices!
- Customizable - Making your own allows you to control the heat. You can omit the red pepper flakes if your family prefers a mild seasoning mix, or add a little extra if you like it spicy!
- Low Sodium Diet - If you are on a low-sodium diet making your own spice blends is one of the best ways to lower your sodium intake.
- Super versatile - Use this flavorful taco seasoning in soups, fajitas, and quesadillas for taco night. It's also delicious used as a rub on grilled chicken breast.
You'll need the following ingredients to make my low sodium taco seasoning recipe.
- Chili Powder - Any type of chili powder will work. I have used both chipotle or ancho chili powder.
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Black Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes or Cayenne Pepper - Optional
How to make an easy low sodium taco seasoning mix recipe
Step 1: Combine chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Stir until well combined.
Simple taco seasoning for ground beef
To make tacos with homemade taco seasoning mix, brown one pound of meat, drain, add 2 tbsp of taco seasoning, and ¼ - ⅓ cup water. Simmer until liquid is absorbed. If you're a fan of beef tacos, try this Taco Soup with Ground Beef.
Easy grilled chicken recipe
To use on chicken, sprinkle each side of the chicken breasts with a generous amount of seasoning and either bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes (time may vary depending on the size of the chicken breast) or grill for approx 5 - 7 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from the grill when it reaches 165 degrees. Remember to check out my One Pot Chicken Fajitas recipe!
Common spices in taco seasoning are chili powder, cumin, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika salt and black pepper. Some recipes have cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes included.
Most taco seasoning packets have two tablespoons of seasoning or 1 ounce.
If you don't have taco seasoning make your own homemade taco seasoning using chili powder, cumin, oregano, black pepper, onion power, garlic powder and paprika.
Storing Taco Seasoning
Make a double or triple batch to have seasoning available for upcoming Taco Tuesday or Fajita Fridays.
Store the seasoning in an airtight container like a mason jar or a plastic resealable bag. Store in a dark, dry space for up to six months.
How to use taco seasoning with no salt
- Sour cream gets a little kick when you add homemade taco seasoning. Start with 1 tbsp of seasoning for a 16 ounce container of sour cream and then add to taste. This sauce is a great addition to your taco bar and is delicious as a dipping sauce for Southwest Meatballs.
- Taco Soup - If the recipe calls for a packet of taco seasoning, substitute two tablespoons of this homemade blend.
- Chicken Nachos - We love nachos at our house. Use this blend in place of the store-bought variety.
- Use this delicious low sodium taco seasoning to make taco meat with ground turkey, beef, chicken, or a plant-based alternative.
- Add the spice mix to sauteed vegetables.
- Spice up your refried or black beans with a sprinkle of taco seasoning.
DIY taco seasoning gift idea
Taco seasoning or any spice blend makes a great DIY gift for family and friends! It is both thoughtful and useful.
Add the mix to a jar or bag, add a pretty ribbon, and ta-da, you have a gift that is sure to please!
Get the free printable kit here.
More spice blend recipes
Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe (No Salt)
- Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container. Yields approx. 4 tbsp.1 tablespoon Chili Powder, 2 teaspoon Cumin, ½ teaspoon Onion Powder, ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder, 1 ¼ teaspoon Paprika, 1 teaspoon Oregano, Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes or Cayenne Pepper, ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
- Use 2 tbsp taco seasoning for every pound of meat.
- Homemade taco seasoning for 1 lb ground beef - brown beef, drain, and add 2 tbsp of seasoning with ¼ cup of water. Simmer until liquid is absorbed.
- Make a larger batch and store it in an airtight container. This way, you'll always have a healthy and delicious seasoning mix ready to go whenever your taco cravings strike.
- If you are not following a low sodium diet add 1 tsp salt to the spice blend.