Warm up your taste buds with this easy-to-make No Bean Taco Soup! Bursting with savory spices, tender seasoned meat, and a rainbow of colorful veggies, this Tex-Mex-inspired dish is full of pure comfort.
This easy taco soup recipe comes together quickly and is a great dinner for any night of the week. You're going to love this low carb soup with all your favorite taco flavors in a bowl instead of a taco shell!
Original Recipe: November 2020 | Update: July 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you decide to purchase through my link, I may earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you.
- Why you'll love this taco soup with ground beef
- Simple ingredients
- How to make ground beef taco soup
- How to make Easy Taco Seasoning
- What to serve with taco soup
- How to make crock pot taco soup
- How to make instant pot taco soup
- Taco soup variations
- Can you freeze taco soup
- How to store taco soup for the next day
- More popular Mexican recipes
- No Bean Taco Soup
Why you'll love this taco soup with ground beef
- No beans - We're not bean lovers at my house, so this soup is perfect for my family! Add one can of rinsed black beans, kidney beans, or pinto beans to the soup if you love beans.
- A simple recipe full of flavor - Perfect for cozy family dinners or gatherings with friends, this soup is a crowd-pleaser that will leave the whole family asking for seconds! For a picture-perfect presentation, top the soup with your favorite taco toppings, including shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
- One-pot meal - love to serve one-pot meals at large gatherings. It makes entertaining so simple, and this soup is especially fun when a toppings bar is added to the mix.
Soup ingredients and substitutions
- Ground Beef - Ground turkey or ground chicken are good substitutes.
- Onion and Red Bell Peppers
- Garlic Cloves - Substitute ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder for one clove of garlic.
- Taco Seasoning - Use a packet from the grocery store or try my homemade version. The recipe is below.
- Tomatoes with Green Chilies - The original Rotel is my go to.
- Beef Broth - Two teaspoons of beef base with two cups of water can be substituted for the beef broth.
- Tomato Paste
- Corn - My favorite way to make taco soup is with fresh corn, but you can use canned or frozen.
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Fresh cilantro
- Green onion
- Lime Wedges
The skies the limit when it comes to garnishing this Mexican ground beef taco soup!
How to make ground beef taco soup
Step 2: Add tomato paste, garlic, and taco seasoning. Cook over medium heat for 2 - 3 minutes allowing the taco seasoning to bloom but not allowing the garlic to burn.
Step 3: Add tomatoes with green chiles (I prefer Rotel tomatoes), beef broth, and corn. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Step 4: Top with favorite garnishes and serve with tortilla chips.
How to make Easy Taco Seasoning
This simple taco seasoning is an excellent substitution for store-bought taco packets. It's easy to make, and you likely have all the ingredients in your spice drawer. Double or triple this recipe to have extra for all your favorite Mexican dishes.
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoon Oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
Store homemade taco seasoning in an airtight container for up to 6 months. You will need 2 tablespoons for the soup; the seasoning recipe makes approx. 4 tablespoons.
Serve taco soup with your favorite toppings and tortilla chips.
Taco soup is good for up to 5 days stored in an airtight container.
You can thicken taco soup by adding 1 - 2 tablespoons of corn starch with ¼ cup of beef broth, but I don't find it necessary to thicken this soup.
What to serve with taco soup
How to make crock pot taco soup
- Brown ground beef with garlic, onion, red bell pepper, and taco seasoning.
- Add ground beef mixture and all ingredients (outside of the recommended garnishes) to a slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Garnish and serve.
How to make instant pot taco soup
- Select the saute function. Brown ground beef with garlic, onion, red bell pepper, and taco seasoning. Add all other ingredients (outside garnishes) to the instant pot and stir everything well.
- Close the lid and seal the pressure valve. Set on high for 10 minutes in the manual setting, then let the pot release naturally.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings and serve with tortilla chips.
Taco soup variations
- Make chicken taco soup by substituting three cups of cooked diced chicken for ground beef. I would also switch out the beef broth for chicken broth.
- Make ranch taco soup by adding a packet of ranch dressing mix. The subtle ranch flavor is a great addition.
- If you like beans, add rinsed kidney, pinto or black beans.
- Make a vegan taco soup by adding meatless crumbles in place of the ground beef.
Can you freeze taco soup
Absolutely! I love to double this recipe and freeze the leftovers. Be sure to let the soup cool completely before storing it in a freezer bag or airtight container. Label and date the bag. If using a freezer bag, it's a good idea to double-bag the soup before placing it in the freezer.
How to store taco soup for the next day
Taco soup is good in the fridge for up to 5 days. Be sure to cool the soup completely before storing it in an airtight container.
More popular Mexican recipes
Empanadas - Trust me, these perfect little hand pies will be a huge hit at your next tailgate, pot-luck dinner, or Cinco de Mayo party!
Southwest Chicken Breast - These boneless, skinless chicken breasts are full of Mexican flavor and bake perfectly in just 18 minutes.
Southwest Chili with Beef and Chorizo - You'll love this unique take on an American classic because, let's face it, there's nothing better than a big ole' pot of chili!
No Bean Taco Soup
- In a Dutch oven or large skillet, brown ground beef with onion and red bell pepper over medium-high heat. Drain excess grease from the pan.1 ½ pound Ground Beef, 1 small Onion, ½ cup Red Bell Pepper
- Add tomato paste, garlic, and taco seasoning. Cook over medium heat for 2 - 3 minutes allowing the taco seasoning to bloom but not allowing the garlic to burn.2 cloves Garlic, 2 tablespoon Tomato Paste, 2 tablespoon Taco Seasoning
- Add tomatoes, green chilies, beef broth, and corn. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.1 10 oz Tomatoes with Green Chilies, 2 cup Beef Broth, 2 cup Corn
- Top with favorite garnishes and serve with tortilla chips.1 cup Cheddar Cheese, ¼ cup Sour Cream, ½ cup Cilantro, Garnish Lime, Garnish Avocado, Garnish Jalapeno
- If Rotel is too spicy for you, substitute a can of petite diced tomatoes and a can of mild green chiles.
- Substitute one cup cooked rice if you want to omit the beans.