Salsa Chicken with Cream Cheese is slow cooked in a combination of salsa, taco seasoning, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder then finished with cream cheese, giving it a fantastic creamy taste.
Original recipe: August 2022 | Update: October 2023
- Why you'll love this slow cooker salsa chicken with cream cheese recipe
- Ingredients for crockpot cream cheese chicken
- Step by step directions to make salsa cream cheese chicken
- How to serve cream cheese slow cooker salsa chicken
- Kitchen tools to make salsa chicken with cream cheese
- How to store leftover salsa chicken with cream cheese
- FAQ for making slow cooker salsa chicken
- More chicken recipes
- Creamy Salsa Chicken
Why you'll love this slow cooker salsa chicken with cream cheese recipe
- Versatile: There are so many different ways you can use this chicken. Keep reading to see my favorite ways to serve this chicken.
- Simple ingredients: This recipe only calls for a handful of ingredients making it the perfect way to mix up your next taco night.
- Easy prep: This recipe only takes a few minutes of prep.
Ingredients for crockpot cream cheese chicken
- Chicken Breast - I prefer boneless skinless chicken breast.
- Taco Seasoning - Use a packet from the grocery or try this homemade taco seasoning recipe. I keep this easy recipe in the pantry at all times!
- Chili Powder - A little bit of chili powder will go a long way.
- Cumin - If you don't have cumin at home, this will be your chance to stock up.
- Garlic Powder - You can substitute 2 cloves of minced garlic if you prefer.
- Cream Cheese - This dish is super creamy from the cream cheese. You could substitute sour cream, but I do love the flavor of the cream cheese.
- Salsa - Salsa helps add a layer of deliciousness you will only find in Creamy Salsa Chicken! Jarred salsa is okay to use for this recipe or try this easy homemade salsa recipe and keep the extra to serve with chips.
- Green Onions and Fresh Cilantro Garnish - Every dish that involves salsa will taste so much better with a little garnish!
- Optional - You can add corn kernels and black beans to this dish if you'd like.
Step by step directions to make salsa cream cheese chicken
STEP 2: Sprinkle the taco seasoning, chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin evenly over each breast.
STEP 3: Pour salsa over the top of the chicken breasts and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
STEP 4: On a cutting board shred chicken with two forks.
STEP 5: Mix in diced room temperature cream cheese into the salsa mixture. Return the lid to the pot and let sit for approx 15 - 20 minutes while the cheese melts. Simmer the cream cheese and sauce on the stovetop if you are in a hurry.
STEP 6: Return all ingredients and mix until all of the chicken is coated.
STEP 7: Garnish with cilantro and green onions.
How to serve cream cheese slow cooker salsa chicken
- Tacos - Make a family favorite by serving with taco shells, either crunchy or flour tortillas and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and lettuce.
- Burrito Bowls - Keep dinner low-carb by making a burrito bowl. Top with avocado, a Mexican cheese blend, additional cilantro and pico de gallo.
- Nacho platter - Use the chicken with this sheet pan nacho recipe to make a delicious pile of nachos with tortilla chips and your favorite toppings with just a small amount of jalapenos.
- Taquitos - Make air fryer chicken taquitos with the chicken.
- Burritos - Use a 10" flour tortilla and stuff with chicken and your favorite burrito fixings.
How to store leftover salsa chicken with cream cheese
To store: Let the chicken cool completely and then place it in an airtight container. It will last in the fridge for 3-4 days.
To freeze: Place the chicken in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Double bag in a freezer bag to free up space in your freezer.
To reheat: Thaw the chicken (if frozen) and reheat on the stovetop over medium-low heat until warmed through or microwave for 30 second increments, until the chicken is hot.
FAQ for making slow cooker salsa chicken
It should take 3 - 5 depending upon the size of each breast.
No, you don't need to cook the chicken before adding it to the slow cooker. Just throw it in raw and let the slow cooker do its job.
Yes, you can use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. Chicken thighs are generally moister than chicken breasts, so they might not need to cook as long. I would start with cooking them on low for 4 hours and then go from there.
You can use any kind of salsa that you like. I usually use mild salsa because that's what my family prefers. But, if you like it spicy, feel free to use hot salsa.
Yes, add all of the ingredients except the cream cheese and cook for 12 minutes. Do a quick release, pull the chicken to shred, add the cream cheese and simmer until the cheese is melted. Add the chicken back to the pot. Quick and easy!
More chicken recipes
Mexican Chicken - These boneless, skinless chicken breasts are full of Mexican flavor and bake to perfection in just 18 minutes.
Chicken Meatballs - These little juicy bites are going to have friends and family raving at your next party!
Creamy Salsa Chicken
- Place the chicken breasts into the slow cooker in a single layer.2 lb Chicken Breast
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning, chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin evenly over each breast.¼ cup Taco Seasoning, 1 tsp Chili Powder, 1 tsp Garlic Powder, 1 tsp Cumin
- Pour salsa over the top of the chicken breasts and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.1 cup Salsa
- Remove chicken and shred on a cutting board with two forks.
- Mix in diced room temperature cream cheese into the salsa mixture. Return the lid to the pot and let sit for approx 15 - 20 minutes while the cheese melts.4 oz Cream Cheese
- Return all ingredients and mix until all of the chicken is coated.
- Serve in taco shells, over rice, or over lettuce. Garnish with cilantro and green onions.Green Onions and Cilantro
- Simmer the cream cheese and sauce on the stovetop if you are in a hurry or if your cream cheese was not at room temperature before adding.
- Times may vary depending on your slow-cooker. Mine tends to run hot.