Tomato Jalapeno Salsa is made in just 5 minutes and tastes like what they serve at your favorite local Mexican restaurant. It's healthy, fresh, and perfect with all your favorite Southwest recipes.
Serve this salsa with chips for easy entertaining, or it's delicious with my Cream Cheese Enchiladas.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you decide to purchase through my link, I may earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you.
Why you will love this restaurant-style salsa
- This salsa is addictive: I can never stop eating chips and salsa when we go out to a Mexican restaurant. This salsa is no different. Don't fight it; it's a battle you don't really want to win! Plus, it's way better than the jarred stuff!
- Flavorful Salsa: The sweetness and acidity of the tomatoes, the heat from the jalapeno, the aromatic spices, the fresh and vibrant cilantro, and the tangy brightness of the lime juice all combine to create a salsa with a complex and irresistible taste.
- Customizable Heat Level: By using jalapeno peppers, you control the spiciness level in your salsa. You can adjust the number of jalapenos and remove or keep the seeds and membranes according to your preferred heat level.
- Fresh ingredients: Even though this recipe is made with canned tomatoes, it has a great fresh flavor from the cilantro, lime, garlic, and cilantro.
- Canned Whole Plum Tomatoes - You'll love how easy this salsa is from using canned tomatoes over fresh tomatoes.
- White Onion or Yellow Onion - You can roughly chop the onion, but the processor will do most of the work.
- Cilantro - Use the cilantro leaves and the stems; it's all full of flavor!
- Fresh Jalapeno Peppers - Remember, the seeds are what brings the heat, so only add a few if you don't like it hot.
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Spices - Include
- Sugar - Just a pinch of sugar helps with the acidity of tomatoes.
- Chipotle Chili Powder - The chipotle in the chili powder offers a smokey flavor, but the recipe will be great with regular chili powder if that's what you have on hand.
Spice it up
My husband is from Minnesota and always says the hottest thing he had growing up was ketchup. This recipe has just a little bit of a kick. If you like your spicy salsa, add the seeds from the jalapeno or a dash of red pepper flakes.
Step-by-Step directions to make the best homemade salsa
Step 1: Add the plum tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, juice from ½ lime, and spices to a food processor.
Step 2: Pulse until the salsa is the consistency you prefer. Be sure to taste test to see if you need more sugar, salt, or a bit more jalapeno for a spicier salsa.
Step 3: Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. This will help all the flavors come together; plus I like my salsa cold rather than at room temperature.
Want to store it for later? Here's how...
Refrigerator: The salsa will last in the fridge for four days when stored in an airtight container and kept in the refrigerator. This recipe improves with time, so plan to make it a day before serving.
Freezer: Yes, you can freeze salsa, but it may be watery when thawed. Store the leftover salsa in a resealable freezer bag for up to 4 months. It's not recommended to freeze salsa in mason jars because the changes in pressure can cause the glass to break.
- Use good quality tomatoes like San Marzano. It makes a different!
- If you prefer a chunky texture and have fresh tomatoes, consider making a Pico de Gallo recipe.
- Make these delicious Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips to serve with the salsa.
- This salsa makes enough for two 16-ounce mason jars. Take an extra for the hostess at your next game day gathering. Be sure to date the salsa.
More memorable sauce recipes
Tomato Jalapeno Salsa
- Place all ingredients into a food processor. Pulse until the salsa is the consistency you prefer.
- Store in an airtight container and refrigerate until serving.1 28 oz Can Whole Plum Tomatoes, ½ Onion Chopped, ½ cup Cilantro, 2 Tbsp Jalapeno Diced, ½ Juice from ½ Lime, 2 cloves Garlic, ¼ tsp Salt, ¼ tsp Sugar, 1 tsp Cumin, 1 tsp Chipotle Chili Powder