Hearty Hamburger Soup with vegetables is a satisfying and flavorful dish combining ground beef, a medley of colorful veggies, and the perfect spice combination.
Packed with wholesome ingredients, this soup is a comforting and delicious meal perfect for cozy nights in or as a hearty lunch option.
This recipe is simple to make and will feed a crowd.
Original Recipe: April 2020 | Update: April 2023
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS HEARTY HAMBURGER SOUP RECIPE
- It's full of healthy vegetables but still feels like comfort food.
- Hearty hamburger soup is excellent to have in the fridge for lunches or a quick leftover dinner throughout the week.
- It freezes well for dinners later in the month.
- You can customize the recipe to be sure the whole family will love it.
If you love comfort food like I do, try this Traditional Goulash recipe.
- Ground Beef - An 80 / 20 blend gives you the best flavor. You will lose some of the flavor if you use lean ground beef.
- White Onion
- Celery and Carrots - Cut these vegetables into similar sizes.
- Green beans, Corn, and Peas - Frozen or canned.
- Corn - Frozen or canned.
- Diced Tomatoes - Petite diced are my go-to for this soup.
- Tomato Sauce
- Tomato Paste - Optional
- Beef Broth
- Spices - Garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes give the soup a ton of flavor.
- Bay Leaf - Don't forget to remove the bay leaves before serving.
I use a 7.5-quart Dutch oven to make this soup, and it fills it almost to the top. This recipe makes a generous amount of soup to share with friends and family.
It can also be made in a slow cooker as well. You'll love coming home to the smell of this delicious soup.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS EASY HAMBURGER SOUP
- Any crusty bread.
- Corn Bread
- Simple Green Salad
- Beer Bread
- Dinner Rolls
- Saltine Crackers
My mother taught me to eat saltine crackers with butter when eating soup or chili. I know I know...it's not the healthiest of sides, but it is "oh so good".
HOW TO MAKE HEARTY HAMBURGER SOUP
Step 1: Prep all of the vegetables. Be sure your celery and carrots are diced approximately the same size. This helps to ensure that all ingredients are finished cooking at the same time.
Step 2: In a large pot or Dutch oven, over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef with the onion and drain off any excess grease.
Step 3: Add the vegetables to the pot with ground beef. I add all the vegetables at once, but you could wait on the peas until the last 15 minutes of cook time.
Step 4: Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn the temperature down and simmer over low heat for approximately 1 hour. Once the carrots have softened, you will know the soup is ready to serve.
- Want a little more kick? Add an additional ½ tsp - 1 tsp of red pepper flakes.
- Remove the bay leaves: Don't forget to remove bay leaves before serving.
- Simmer slowly: Let the soup simmer slowly over low heat to let the flavors meld together and create a richer broth. This will help develop the flavors and create a more flavorful soup.
- Customize to your preference: Feel free to customize the soup by adding or substituting ingredients. You can add beans or pasta for added texture or adjust the thickness of the soup by adding more broth or reducing it further.
Change up the protein: Swap out the ground beef for ground turkey.
Added vegetables: Add a couple medium size potatoes, red bell peppers, or more of any of the vegetables you enjoy the most.
Toppings: Add a dollop of sour cream or a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese before serving.
SLOW COOKER DIRECTIONS
Brown ground beef and drain. Add all ingredients to a 6 - 8 quart crock pot, and Cook on low for 8 - 9 hours or high for 4 - 5 hours. Remove bay leaves before serving.
WANT TO STORE FOR LATER? HERE'S HOW...
Store leftovers properly: If you have any leftovers, store them after they have cooled in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Freezer: Cool leftover soup to room temperature before storing it in an airtight container, and it will be good in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Reheat: Leftovers can be reheated in the microwave or on the stovetop. Add additional broth or water if the soup isn't soupy enough.
MORE MEMORABLE SOUP RECIPES
Hearty Hamburger Soup
- 1 ½ lb Ground Beef
- 1 Diced Onion
- 2 cans Green Beans
- 2 cup Diced Celery
- 2 cup Carrots
- 2 cans Corn I use shoe peg corn
- 1 cup Peas
- 2 cans Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 2 cans Tomato Sauce
- 3 cup Beef Broth
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste Optional
- Brown ground beef with diced onion. Drain any excessive fat.1 ½ lb Ground Beef, 1 Diced Onion
- Add all ingredients to the pot with ground beef.2 cans Green Beans, 2 cans Corn, 2 cans Petite Diced Tomatoes, 2 cans Tomato Sauce, 3 cup Beef Broth, 2 cup Diced Celery, 2 cup Carrots, 1 cup Peas, 1 tsp Garlic Powder, 1 tsp Onion Powder, 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning, 1 tsp Salt, 1 tsp Black Pepper, ½ tsp Red Pepper Flakes, 2 Bay Leaves
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are cooked to your preference, approximately 1 hour. Remove bay leaves before serving.
Crock Pot Instructions
- Brown ground beef and drain. Add all ingredients to a 6 - 8 quart crock pot. Cook on low for 8 - 9 hours or high for 4 - 5 hours. Remove bay leaves before serving.