Hearty Beef Vegetable Soup is loaded with ground beef, vegetables and the perfect spice combination. This recipe is simple to make and will feed a crowd.
Soup is always on the menu
My husband loves soup. All kinds of soup. It’s his first question at any restaurant, and he is always requesting soup at home.
We have been making this vegetable soup since we bought our first house together. For the longest time, we just threw in whatever we had in the fridge and sometimes it was good… sometimes it was great!
Now, we have a fool-proof recipe.
This soup is perfect because:
- It is full of healthy vegetables, but still feels like comfort food.
- Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup is great to have in the fridge for lunches or for a quick leftover dinner throughout the week.
- It freezes well for dinners later in the month.
What to serve with Hearty Beef Vegetable Soup:
- My mother taught me to eat saltine crackers with butter when eating soup or chili. I know, I know…it’s not the healthiest of sides, but it is “oh so good”.
- If we are having company or if I take this soup to a friend, I like to serve some sort of crusty bread.
- A pretty simple green salad is a great side dish.
I use a 7.5 quart dutch oven to make this soup, and it fills it almost to the top. This recipe makes a generous amount of soup to share with friends and family, or you can store leftover soup in the freezer for up to 4 months.
This soup can be made in a slow cooker as well. You’ll love coming home to the smell of this delicious soup.
How To Make Hearty Beef Vegetable Soup
Brown the ground beef, drain and return to the pan.
Be sure your onions and celery are diced approximately the same size. This helps to ensure that all ingredients are finished cooking at the same time.
I add all of the vegetables at once, but you could wait on the peas until the last 15 minutes of cook time.
Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn the temperature down and continue to simmer for approximately 1 hour. Once the carrots have softened, you will know the soup is ready to serve.
Want a little more kick? Add an additional 1/2 tsp – 1 tsp of red pepper flakes.
Don’t forget to remove bay leaves before serving.
How to make Hearty Beef Vegetable Soup in Slow Cooker
Brown ground beef and drain. Add all ingredients to a 6 – 8 quart crock pot. Cook on low 8 – 9 hours or high for 4 – 5 hours. Remove bay leaves before serving.
Hearty Beef Vegetable Soup
Hearty Beef Vegetable Soup
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 2 cans cut green beans
- 2 cans corn I use shoe peg corn
- 2 cans petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- 3 c. beef broth
- 1 diced onion
- 2 c. diced celery
- 2 c. diced carrots
- 1 c. peas
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- Brown ground beef and drain off fat.
- Dice onion, carrots and celery.
- Add all ingredients to the pot with ground beef.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are cooked to your preference, approximately 1 hour. Remove bay leaves before serving.
Crock Pot Instructions
- Brown ground beef and drain. Add all ingredients to a 6 – 8 quart crock pot. Cook on low 8 – 9 hours or high for 4 – 5 hours. Remove bay leaves before serving.