Why are they called Buffalo wings?
Buffalo wings were invented in 1964 in a small bar in Buffalo, NY. When Teressa Bellissimo mistakenly ordered a box of chicken wings, she started experimenting and the wing was born.
She found that chicken wings were very inexpensive, so she fried them up, added a spicy sauce, and served them with celery and carrots sticks. They became an instant hit with her customers.
Yes, these wings are low-carb. Serve them with celery sticks and a low-carb dipping sauce for a healthy dinner that won't bust your carb count. Here are more low-carb recipes to enjoy as well.
What you'll need:
With just a few ingredients, you can make a restaurant-quality wing without a fryer. Here's what you'll need:
- Chicken wings - I like to use fresh wings so that the chicken is in its most pure form and doesn't need thawing.
- Hot Sauce - I always pick Franks Hot Sauce, but there are many brand that already have butter added. These will work great as well. If you use one of these sauces, you will omit the butter.
- Garlic Powder
- Season Salt
- Olive Oil - This helps the chicken to crisp. Don't skip this ingredient.
How to make Oven Baked Hot Wings
Start by heating the oven to 425 degrees.
Place chicken wings in large bowl. Add season salt, pepper and olive oil.
Coat chicken with spices and oil.
Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. This is not absolutely necessary, but it makes the clean up is much easier!
Place a wire rack on top of foil and arrange wings in a single layer. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn wings over and continue to cook for an additional 20 minutes. If you don't have a wire rack, no worries! It just helps to crisp up the wings a bit more.
In a small sauce pan warm hot sauce, butter and garlic powder.
Toss each wing in sauce then return to wire rack. At this point, you can serve immediately or put them back in the oven for 5 minutes to so that the sauce thickens a bit.
Oven Baked Hot Wings Recipe
Oven Baked Hot Wings
- 2 lb Chicken Wings Recommend Smart wings you'll find in the fresh aisle
- 1 tsp Season Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- ¼ c Butter
- ½ c Hot Sauce Franks Hot Sauce
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place chicken wings in large bowl. Add season salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Mix until chicken is coated with spices and oil.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil; top with a wire rack.
- Place chicken wings on wire rack in a single layer and bake for 20 minutes. Turn each wing and continue to cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- Warm hot sauce, butter and garlic powder on stove top.
- Toss each wing in the sauce and return to wire rack. At this point you can serve immediately or put them back in the oven for 5 minutes to get the sauce to thicken a bit.