Take your weeknight dinner to the next level with this Mexican Chicken Breast recipe.
These boneless, skinless chicken breast are full of Mexican flavor and bake to perfection in just 18 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you decide to purchase through my link, I may earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS MEXICAN CHICKEN BREAST RECIPE
- It's a quick and easy recipe making it great for weeknight dinners.
- You probably have most the ingredients already in your pantry.
- Seasoned with an easy chicken rub this recipe only takes 18 minutes to bake.
- This Mexican Chicken marinade has become a family favorite recipe!
- It's the perfect start to so many Mexican food recipes.
- Do you meal prep? You'll love how the chicken rewarms the next day.
WHAT IS MEXICAN CHICKEN BREAST?
It is a boneless, skinless chicken breast seasoned with chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, salt, lime juice, and olive oil. This chicken is packed with flavor, but it's also quick and easy to make.
- Boneless Chicken Breasts
- Lime Juice
- Olive Oil
- Chili Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
3 - 4 tablespoons of taco seasoning can be substituted for the dry spices.
HOW TO MAKE MEXICAN CHICKEN BREAST
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Pound the chicken so that each breast is approximately the same thickness.
- Place chicken in a freezer bag and set aside.
- Next, in a small mixing bowl combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, cayenne pepper olive oil and fresh lime juice.
- Add marinade to the bag and rub until the spices are covering all parts of the chicken breasts. If possible, let the chicken rest in the refrigerator for 2 hours before baking.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes. Check to ensure that the internal temperature is at 165 degrees before removing from oven.
- Let chicken rest for 3 - 5 minutes so the juices redistribute themselves back through the meat.
HOW TO SERVE MEXICAN CHICKEN BREAST
A great thing about this dish- other than being so easy to make- is that you can serve it so many different ways.
- Taco Salad
- One-Pot Chicken Fajita Skillet - This one pan meal uses the same marinade.
- Serve chicken with Mexican rice, black beans or refried beans.
- Slice the chicken up to use in soft or hard shell tacos.
- Simply serve the chicken with sour cream, pico de gallo and cheddar cheese.
- Burrito Bowls - Include chicken with rice, enchilada sauce or salsa, cheese, red bell pepper and sour cream and a sprinkle of green onions for a super tasty meal.
- Shred the chicken and make chicken enchiladas.
STORAGE AND FREEZER DIRECTIONS
This chicken can be stored in a freezer bag with the marinade for up to 3 months. Thaw the chicken in the fridge over night for at least 24 hours before baking.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
If you have a meat mallet, you can use it to pound out your chicken. If you don't, try a rolling pin, the back of a skillet, or even the bottom of a mason jar, depending on the size of the chicken.
Wrap the breasts in plastic wrap or a ziplock bag, then pound until all the pieces are of an even thickness.
Yes, if the chicken will fit in the skillet it's a great way to cook Mexican Chicken Breasts. Be sure to remove the chicken from the pan immediately so they do not continue to cook.
Actually most any cut of chicken will work for this recipe. I often use boneless chicken thighs with this marinade. Cook times will vary, be sure to check the temperature to ensure chicken is at 165 degrees before eating.
MORE CHICKEN DINNERS
Mexican Chicken Breast
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pound the chicken so that each breast is approximately the same thickness and add them to a resealable bag or bowl.1.5 lb. Chicken Breast
- In a small mixing bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, cayenne pepper olive oil and fresh lime juice. Add marinade to bag and rub until the spices are covering all parts of the chicken breasts.2 Tbsp Chili Powder, 1 tsp Cumin, 1 tsp Oregano, 1 tsp Salt, ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper, 2 Tbsp Olive Oil, 2 Tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
- Bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes or until the chicken has an internal temperature of 165 degrees.