This Blackberry Simple Syrup Recipe is a delicious and versatile syrup that can be used to add a burst of flavor to classic cocktails, mocktails, desserts, and more.
WHY I LOVE THIS TASTY BLACKBERRY SYRUP
- You will love using this blackberry syrup for drinks. Add to ice tea, a fancy gin fizz, or a big glass of fresh squeezed lemonade.
- You can make simple syrup in less than 30 minutes.
- It's so easy! If you can boil water you can make this recipe.
- Blackberry syrup can last, sealed in the refrigerator, for up to 4 weeks.
- Fresh Blackberries - I love to use the fresh berries. Frozen will work, but during the peak of blackberry season I'm always going to use fresh.
- Granulated Sugar - The secret to any simple syrup is the sugar.
- Fresh Lemon Juice - The lemon juice brightens the syrup.
HOW TO MAKE SIMPLE BLACKBERRY SYRUP
Step 1: In a small saucepan, over medium heat, add 1 lb blackberries, 1 cup granulated sugar, 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, and 1 cup of water.
Step 2: Bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer for 15 minutes. When the sugar dissolves you'll be on your way!
Step 3: Strain syrup through a fine mesh sieve and press the blackberries with the back of a wooden spoon to help release all the juices. A potato masher works great too. Discard solids or save them and add them to a smoothie!
Step 4: Cool syrup and pour the syrup into an airtight container.
- You can use the same recipe to make a simple syrup with no fruit but eliminating the blackberries.
- Create a mixed berry simple syrup recipe by changing up the type of fruit you use. Try a blueberry, raspberry and blackberry combination.
See more simple syrup recipes below.
WAYS TO USE THIS SYRUP
There are so many ways to use this blackberry simple syrup recipe! Here are a few of my favorites:
- Use this blackberry syrup for cocktails or mocktails or iced tea. I especially like it for blackberry mojito.
- The perfect way to use this syrup is to use it to place of maple syrup on pancakes and waffles.
- Drizzle it over yogurt or oatmeal.
- Use it as a fruit dip or fruit syrup.
- Drizzle over a fresh fruit salad.
- Add it to club soda, soda water or seltzer for a delicious blackberry soda.
- It's delicious over vanilla ice cream.
- Use it has a cheese cake enhancer.
- Drizzle over angel food cake.
- Make Blackberry Lemonade using the syrup.
- Blackberry margarita's are great way to use this syrup.
- Add a couple teaspoons to hot tea.
What is your favorite way to use simple syrup? Let us know in the comments below!
WANT TO STORE THIS FOR LATER? HERE HOW:
To store: Cool syrup to room temperature, then pour the syrup into an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 4 weeks. I like to use a mason jar.
To freeze: Pour the syrup into ice cube trays and freeze. Once frozen, transfer the cubes to a freezer-safe bag or container. The syrup will last for up to 6 months in the freezer. Make sure you use a freezer-safe container.
Blackberry simple syrup will last up to 4 weeks when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. For longer storage, freezer for up to 1 year.
Blackberry simple syrup has a pronounced blackberry flavor this is sweet and slightly tangy, with a hint of tartness.
MORE MEMORABLE SIMPLE SYRUP RECIPES
Blackberry Simple Syrup
- To a small sauce pan add, blackberries, granulated sugar, fresh lemon juice, and water.1 lb Blackberries, 1 cup Granulated Sugar, 1 cup Water, 1 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing the blackberries with the back of a spoon to help release all the juices.
- Pour the syrup into an airtight container. After cooling to room temperature, store syrup in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.