Cherry Simple Syrup is one of the easiest ways to preserve fresh cherries during the summer months. It's quick and easy to make, plus, it's beautiful to serve, and it's so flavorful!
You might also enjoy Strawberry Simple Syrup.
Recently, I was in the grocery store shopping, and because it's summer, the produce department was packed with beautiful, vibrant cherries. My first thought seeing them was- how can I use these beauties to make a fantastic Cherry Whiskey Sour.
The thought of being able to sip and enjoy a cocktail as you wind down after a long summer day sounds so relaxing. I don’t know about you, but I could use some relaxing! This recipe not only works for cocktails but can be used to create refreshing, tasty non-alcoholic options as well!
I love cherries and am always looking for a reason to use them. That, combined with the fact this recipe is so easy, makes it the perfect reason to get them!
WHY THIS RECIPE IS GREAT
- It's so easy to make and only uses four ingredients. Yes, four ingredients!
- There are so many ways that this recipe can be used. You can add it to your iced tea, lemonade, make a cocktail (or mocktail), and it also makes a great Cherry Soda.
- Anything this easy and versatile is a win!
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE CHERRY SYRUP
- Cherries - Whatever type of cherries you can find in the grocery store are good for making simple syrup. You can also use frozen cherries. Also, an added benefit…it's not necessary to remove the cherry pits when making this simple syrup.
- Lemon - Adding 1 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice is optional.
- Water - 1 Cup
- Sugar - Use granulated sugar for this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE CHERRY SIMPLE SYRUP
- You’ll first start by cutting your cherries in half. Removing the pits is optional.
- Next, in a small saucepan, add 1 lb. cherries, 1 cup granulated sugar, 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, and 1 cup water.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce to medium heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve and press the cherries with the back of a spoon to help them release all their juices.
- Pour the syrup into a mason jar or any glass jar. It's important to know; the syrup will stain Tupperware.
- Let sit until the syrup comes to room temperature before storing in the refrigerator.
How to Store
You can store your Cherry Simple Syrup in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks. Chances are you'll use it all well before then because it's so good, but it will keep for up to that long in the refrigerator.
How to use Cherry Simple Syrup
Here’s the fun part! Let’s talk about a few of the many ways that you can use this Cherry Simple Syrup!
- Create cherry soda by adding the syrup to club soda.
- Pour over pancakes or waffles.
- Drizzle over ice cream.
- Add ½ - 1 ounce to a large glass of lemonade to make your own designer lemonade.
- This simple syrup creates beautiful and delicious cocktails or mocktails. A Cherry Whiskey Sour is one of my all-time favorite cocktails!
What would you add it to? Tell me in the comments!
MORE SWEET RECIPES
CHERRY SIMPLE SYRUP
Cherry Simple Syrup
- In a small sauce pan add cherries, granulated sugar, fresh lemon juice and water.1 lb. Cherries, 1 cup Granulated Sugar, 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice, 1 cup water
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve and press the cherries with the back of a spoon to help them release all the juices.
- Pour the syrup into an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.