Fresh Squeezed Lemonade is a cool and refreshing drink made with just three ingredients (and one is water).
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS HOMEMADE LEMONADE RECIPE
- There is just three simple ingredients.
- It's so easy to make and it's the perfect drink for summertime festivities.
- You can make strawberry lemonade by adding Strawberry Simple Syrup. It's delicious!
- There are so many refreshing cocktails or mocktails you can make with lemonade.
- The recipe has the perfect balance of sweetness from the sugar and tartness from the lemons.
INGREDIENTS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- Sugar - You can use any type of sugar, including white sugar, brown sugar, or honey. You can even use coconut sugar if you'd like.
- Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice - You're going to need about 6 - 7 large lemons.
- Cold Water - You can also use sparkling water or seltzer water.
- Fresh Lemon Slices (Optional Garnish) - Lemon slices are a great garnish for homemade lemonade.
STEP BY STEP DIRECTIONS
Step 1: Combine 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring the liquid to a boil and stir until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and cool. Starting with hot water will make the process go faster.
Step 2: Juice lemons into a measuring cup. Once you have 1 cup of juice, strain any seeds. If you don't like pulp, strain it also.
Step 3: Combine 6 cups of water, the sugar mixture, and lemon juice into a glass pitcher.
Step 4: Mix until well combined. Serve over ice with a lemon wedge for garnish.
- Be sure to use equal parts sugar and water when making the simple syrup.
- Add a fresh herb like fresh mint or basil to add additional flavor.
- If the lemonade is too sweet, add a bit more water.
- If using Meyer lemons you may need to adjust the sweetness. They are a bit more tart than regular lemons.
- Start with hot water when making the simple syrup and use cold water when finishing the lemonade.
- Give the lemonade a good stir right before serving to be sure nothing is sitting at the bottom of the pitcher.
FACTS AND COMMON QUESTIONS
Homemade lemonade will last 3 - 5 days in the fridge. This is an easy way to enjoy fresh-squeezed lemonade anytime!
While both are delicious, pink lemonade is made with cranberry juice or grenadine syrup, and regular lemonade is simply made with lemons, sugar, and water.
Yes, you can absolutely swap out the lemons for limes. You'll need about 8 - 10 limes to get 1 cup of lime juice.
If you want to get creative with your lemonade, try adding in some fresh herbs like mint or basil. Or, you can add in some fruit juice like cranberry juice or strawberries. Get creative and make it your own!
To make this fresh squeezed lemonade recipe, I'd recommend using real lemons, fresh lemons, or fresh lemon juice! This is a simple recipe, but real lemon flavor is important to get the best lemonade recipe.
Try this Cherry Simple Syrup in lemonade to make fun cocktails and mocktails.
WANT TO STORE THIS FOR LATER? HERE'S HOW:
To Store: Homemade lemonade can be stored in the fridge for 3 - 5 days. Simply pour into a large pitcher or jar and store in the fridge. When you're ready to drink it, give it a good shake or stir to mix everything together.
To Freeze: Lemonade can also be frozen! Pour into a freezer-safe container, leaving about an inch of space at the top. When you're ready to drink it, thaw in the fridge overnight and give it a good stir before serving.
- Lemons are believed to have originated China where they are a symbol of happiness.
MORE MEMORABLE RECIPES
Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Homemade
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice About 6 - 7 large lemons
- 7 cups Cold Water Divided
- 1-2 Lemons Optional Garnish
- Combine 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water in a sauce pan over medium heat. Bring liquid to a boil and stir until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and cool.
- Juice lemons into a measuring cup. Once you have 1 cup of juice, strain any seeds.
- Combine 6 cups water, the sugar mixture and lemon juice into a pitcher.
- Mix until well combined. Serve over ice with a lemon wedge for garnish.
If you make this recipe, please let me know! I'd love to hear how it turned out in the comments below.