Creamy Avocado Sauce can be made in less than 5 minutes and will take tortilla chips and salsa to the next level.
Try this creamy sauce with some of the most popular recipes on the blog. Cream Cheese Enchilada Casserole, Taco Empanadas or it's absolutely perfect as a dipping sauce with Southwest Chicken Meatballs.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS AVOCADO SAUCE RECIPE
- Avocados are a great source of healthy fats that contribute to lower cholesterol.
- This sauce is the perfect topping for all your favorite Mexican recipes.
- This is an easy sauce recipe that only takes 5 minutes to create.
- The creamy texture!
HOW TO CHOOSE RIPE AVOCADOS
How often have you gotten home with avocados that you thought were ripe but were just not ready when you cut into them? Here are a few tips on how to pick a ripe avocado
- Look for avocados with dark skin. Usually very dark to almost black skin indicates it will be ripe.
- Feel the avocado. Is the skin smooth or bumpy? As the avocado ripens the skin will have a bumpy texture.
- Squeeze the avocado. Is it soft? Does it yield to gentle pressure? If it feels mushy, it is probably over ripe.
INGREDIENTS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- Fresh Avocados
- Garlic Cloves - Mince the garlic for great flavor, but if you don't have garlic cloves you can add garlic powder.
- Sour Cream - Plain Greek yogurt is an excellent substitution.
- Cilantro - If you are someone who doesn't enjoy cilantro, substitute fresh parsley for the cilantro and still enjoy the fresh herbs flavor.
- Salt & Pepper - This recipe just takes a pinch of each. Add more if you prefer.
- Lime Juice - Fresh lime juice is best, but if you are in a pinch, use what you have on hand. Lemon juice will create a little different flavor, but can used to substitute for the lime juice.
- Water - You will use water to thin the sauce out depending upon how you will serve the sauce.
- Do you like a spicy sauce? Add chopped Serrano peppers or jalapenos.
- Avocado Oil or Olive Oil - Just a little bit of olive oil is a great addition.
- Sandwich Spread - Spice up a BLT with a couple tablespoons cream sauce.
HOW TO MAKE AVOCADO CREAM SAUCE FROM SCRATCH
STEP 1: Add fresh avocado, grated garlic, sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the sauce is smooth.
STEP 2: Add a little water at a time until the creamy dressing gets to the desired consistency.
STEP 3: Serve immediately.
STORAGE AND TIPS
Store any leftover sauce in an airtight container for the next day. It will keep in the fridge for up to three days.
PRO TIP - Placing plastic wrap over the top of the sauce will help to keep the sauce from turning brown.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH AVOCADO CREAM SAUCE
The best part about this sauce is it goes with so many dishes. It's easy to whip up and adds so much flavor to all your favorite southwest dishes.
- Tacos - It doesn't matter if you are using salmon, white fish, beef or chicken. This sauce goes great with all of them.
- Chicken Fajita Skillet
- Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
- Chips and Easy Mexican Salsa
- Taco Salad - Thin out the sauce to create a great salad dressing.
- Use it to top burrito bowls made with your favorite Mexican Food.
- Tomato Appetizer - Create a low-carb appetizer by hollowing out small tomatoes and filling them with avocado sauce.
MORE AVOCADO RECIPES
Creamy Avocado Sauce
- STEP 1: Add fresh avocado, grated garlic, sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the sauce is smooth.
- STEP 2: Add a water, a little at a time until the creamy dressing gets to the desired consistency.
- STEP 3: Serve immediately.