Fresh Basil Parmesan Pesto is a classic, simple and versatile sauce. Made with fresh ingredients, it's hands down better than store-bought pesto and it's super easy to make! Use this basil pesto recipe for dipping your favorite Artisan bread, use for flatbread chicken pizza or slather it over a piece of baked salmon.
I love to grow fresh basil. It's great to be able to run out and grab what I need all summer long, but at the end of the season I always have a ton left. Basil Parmesan Pesto is the best way to use up fresh basil before the first freeze.
QUICK AND EASY WAYS TO USE PESTO
- Pesto Pizza - Create a fantastic combination by spreading a layer of pesto on pizza dough. Next, add mozzarella and tomatoes. Delicious!
- Pesto Pasta - Cook angel hair pasta and add a generous amount of pesto. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes.
- Pesto Shrimp - Saute shrimp until they are pink and opaque. Add a generous amount of pesto and coat each shrimp. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes until pesto is warm.
- Pesto Grilled Cheese - You'll need two pieces of buttered bread, a slice of your favorite white cheese and about two tablespoons of Homemade Basil Parmesan Pesto. Build the sandwich and toast on a griddle.
- Baked Salmon - Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake salmon for 10 - 12 minutes. Immediately add pesto to the top of the salmon.
- Italian Chicken Meatballs - Use this pesto recipe as a dipping sauce.
Ingredients to make Basil Pesto
- Fresh Basil
- Pine Nuts
- Parmesan Cheese
- Lemon Juice
- Olive Oil
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE BASIL PARMESAN PESTO
In a food processor or blender, pulse basil, lemon, Parmesan, pine nuts, garlic, and salt until finely chopped.
While keeping food processor or blender running, slowing add olive oil until well combined. You will have a grainy consistency. Keep blending until olive oil and other ingredients are smooth.
Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
FRESH BASIL PARMESAN PESTO
Basil Parmesan Pesto
- 4 c Basil packed
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ c Lemon Juice fresh is best
- 8 cloves Garlic
- 8 Tbsp Pine Nuts
- 2 c Olive Oil
- 1 ½ c Parmesan Cheese
- In a food processor or blender, pulse basil, lemon, Parmesan, pine nuts, garlic, and salt until finely chopped.
- While keeping food processor or blender running, slowing add olive oil until well combined.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze.