Easy Homemade Croutons are crisp on the outside with a soft chewy middle. They have a little kick that you’ll see pairs great with all kinds of soup and salad recipes. You won’t believe how easy they are to make!
Homemade is so much better!
I love making Caesar salad, it’s quick, easy and uses very few ingredients. With a big group coming over for dinner one night, I realized at the last minutes I had forgotten to buy croutons.
Well why not make my own? I found some bread in the pantry and then started throwing in some spices and I never looked back. Homemade croutons are so much better and a great way to use up old bread in your pantry.
What kind of bread should you use?
Basically any bread works great for this recipe. I use the bread I have in the pantry or I recommend purchasing day old bread from your local bakery.
- Bread cut into cubes – my preference is sourdough
- Olive Oil
- Pepper – I prefer fresh cracked pepper, but it is not absolutely necessary. Your table pepper will work just fine.
- Italian Seasoning
- Cayenne Pepper optional
- Garlic Powder – Do not use fresh garlic, it tends to burn .
How to Make Easy Homemade Croutons
Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
Cube bread into 1 inch pieces
Combine melted butter, olive oil and spices in small bowl.
Pour sauce over bread. Gently combine until bread is coated.
On a greased cookie sheet or over parchment paper spread bread into a single layer.
Bake for 15 – 20 minutes turning the bread half way through.
When bread is toasted remove from oven and cool.
Serve homemade croutons with your favorite salad, soup or casseroles.
Easy Homemade Croutons Recipe
Easy Homemade Croutons
- 6 c Cubed Bread
- 1/4 c Olive Oil
- 1/4 c Butter
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- pinch Cayenne Pepper Optional
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees
- Cube bread into 1 inch pieces
- Combine melted butter, olive oil and spices.
- Pour sauce over bread. Gently combine until the bread is coated.
- On a greased cookie sheet or parchment paper spread bread evenly into a single layer.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes turning the bread half way through.
- When bread is toasted remove from oven and cool.
- Serve homemade croutons with your favorite salad, soup or casserole.
Croutons can be stored in an air tight container for up to a week or store them in the freezer for recipes in the upcoming months.