This cozy, cinnamon stick garnished Apple Hot Toddy is not only a great way to warm up on cool nights, but also can help alleviate the discomfort of a common cold or sore throat. It's my favorite warm alcoholic drink, and I think you'll love it too!
If you are a fan of apple recipes, don't forget to check out my Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake recipe.
What is a Hot Toddy?
Classic hot toddies are a warm and cozy cocktail made with whiskey (or bourbon), honey, and lemon. They are known for their use as a home remedy for a cold, but they are also an excellent drink to enjoy even if you are in tip-top shape!
Why You'll Love This Hot Cocktail
- It's warm and comforting on a winter evening.
- It's the perfect drink for both the fall and winter seasons.
- Soothing warm cocktail for colds and sore throats.
- Apple Whiskey
- Lemon Juice - If you don't have apple slices, use lemon slices to garnish.
- Hot Water
- Apple Slices - Fresh apples give this drink an extra dose of seasonal goodness. My favorite apple is an apple crisp, but any type of apple will work.
- Cinnamon Stick (Optional for garnish)
Hot Toddy Variations
- Instead of honey, substitute maple syrup for a more woodsy flavor.
- The mild and fragrant licorice flavor of a star anise is not only a good combination, it's really pretty as a garnish.
- Create a spiced apple cider cocktail by adding apple cider or apple juice instead of water.
- Not a whiskey drinker? Use apple rum or apple brandy as a substitute for the whiskey.
How To Make An Apple Hot Toddy (Easy Recipe)
In a small saucepan warm ¾ cup water.
Add ¼ cup apple whiskey, 1 teaspoon honey, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice into a 6-ounce mug. Top off cup with hot water and stir until the honey is dissolved.
Garnish with an apple slice and a cinnamon stick.
Pro Tip for making Hot Toddies
To keep your hot toddy warm longer, you can first warm up your glass or mug by filling it with hot water. Just dump the water out before mixing the drink.
To make a large batch of this delicious hot toddy recipe, multiply the recipe by how many people you have in your group. I'll often make a pitcher full so I don't have to mix while entertaining.
If you love whiskey, I bet you'll love this Cherry Whiskey Sour.
Apple Hot Toddy
- In a small saucepan warm ¾ cup water.
- Add ¼ cup apple whiskey, 1 teaspoon honey, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice into a 6-ounce mug. Top off cup with hot water and stir until the honey is dissolved.
- Garnish with an apple slice and a cinnamon stick.