Mashed Sweet Potatoes are made in one pot with just 7 ingredients including cinnamon, brown sugar, and pecans. Serve these at your next holiday dinner or pair with chicken, pork or beef for an easy weeknight dinner.
I love that these potatoes are made on the stove top and not in the oven! If you are making them for the holidays, you will certainly appreciate one less dish in the oven.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes are easy to make and full of flavor. Because the potatoes are cooked in cream and butter instead of water, they have all the flavors they were simmered in, making them creamy and delicious!
ARE SWEET POTATOES HEALTHY?
There are so many benefits to eating sweet potatoes!
- Vitamins – They are full of vitamin A, C and B6 and have good amount of potassium, which help to improve heart health.
- Magnesium – The magnesium found in sweet potatoes can help reduce stress and anxiety.
- Reduce inflammation – due to the high level of choline in sweet potatoes.
- Help fight off diabetes – Sweet Potatoes are relatively low on the glycemic index, which means they release sugar into the bloodstream slowly, unlike other starchy foods.
- Lower in calories and carbohydrates than a regular potato.
- Rich in fiber which can help make you feel full and help promote weight loss. Who isn’t up for a little weight loss, right?
MAKE AHEAD MASHED SWEET POTATOES
Yes, this recipe can be easily made ahead of time. Store potatoes in an oven safe casserole dish and rewarm at 350 degrees for about 20 – 30 minutes if you will be serving for a family.
These potatoes work really great for meal prep too. Store the potatoes in single servings for lunches throughout the week. You can also freeze for up to 3 months.
Leftover Mashed Sweet Potatoes can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH PECANS
Peel and wash sweet potatoes. Now, cut into 1-inch pieces.
Add 2 Tbsp. butter and sweet potatoes to a saucepan.
Cook over medium heat until the potatoes begin to soften, 3-5 minutes.
Add half and half and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and continue a slow simmer.
Cook the potatoes until they become super tender. Approximately 15- 25 minutes. Stir frequently to keep potatoes from sticking or burning on the bottom. The cream may curdle, but don’t worry, it will smooth out when you mash the potatoes.
Remove potatoes from heat. Add in cinnamon, brown sugar and salt. Using either a potato masher or a hand mixer, mash the potatoes until they become smooth. It’s ok if there are a few lumps.
Mix in pecans and remaining 1 Tbsp of butter and whip to incorporate all ingredients.
Transfer to a serving dish and serve warm.
THE BEST MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH PECANS
The Best Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Pecans
- 2 lb Sweet Potatoes
- 1 c Half and Half
- 3 Tbsp Butter (Reserve 1 Tbsp)
- 3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 c Chopped Pecans
- Peel sweet potatoes.
- Cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Add 2 Tbsp. butter and sweet potatoes to a saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until the potatoes begin to soften, 3-5 minutes.
- Add half and half and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and continue a slow simmer.
- Cook until potatoes become super tender. Approximately 20 – 25 minutes. Stir frequently to keep potatoes from sticking or burning on the bottom.
- Remove potatoes from heat. Add cinnamon, brown sugar and salt. Using either a potato masher or a hand mixer, mash the potatoes until they become smooth.
- Mix in pecans and remaining 1 Tbsp of butter. Transfer to a serving dish and serve warm.