This Maple Glazed Carrots Recipe is perfect for your next fancy dinner party, but easy enough for a casual weeknight dinner. The carrots are caramelized with high heat and then finished in a bourbon maple glaze with a hint of spice from the red pepper flakes.
- Olive Oil
- Maple Syrup – Forget about pancake syrup and purchase some good quality maple syrup. You’ll be amazed how much you’ll use it when you have the good stuff.
- Melted Butter
- Lemon Juice – Grab a real lemon, it’s way worth it.
- Bourbon – Any brand you have in the liquor cabinet will work. Don’t have any? No worries, it’s ok to skip the bourbon.
- Parsley – While optional, you’ll love the brightness it adds.
HOW TO MAKE MAPLE GLAZED CARROTS RECIPE
Cut one pound of carrots down the middle so that you have a flat surface on one side of each carrot. I also cut them in quarters, so they fit in the cast iron skillet easily.
Combine 1/4 cup maple syrup, 2 Tbsp melted butter, 2 cloves minced garlic, 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, 2 Tbsp bourbon, and 1/8 – 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Set aside.
Add 3/4 Tbsp. of olive oil to a cast iron or heavy bottom skillet. Turn on stove top to medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to swirl add the carrots (working in batches), flat side down. Cook for 5 minutes until they begin to caramelize.
Flip the carrots and cook another 3 – 5 minutes until the carrots do the same on the other side. Remove the first batch from the skillet, add another 3/4 Tbsp. olive oil and repeat with the remaining carrots.
Add the first batch of carrots back into the pan and pour in the sauce. Lower the heat to medium and simmer until the liquid has reduced by 1/3 and carrots are fork tender.
Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with fresh parsley and sliced lemons. Serve immediately.
- Be patient and don’t move the carrots in the pan for the first 5 minutes. The key to these carrots is for them to become caramelized. There is a natural sweetness in carrots that is brought out when cooking with high heat.
- If you are short on time, skip peeling the carrots. Peeling gives them a cleaner appearance, but the taste will be the same.
- The cooking time will depend on the size and how small you cut the carrots. I cut them down the center and then in quarters.
MAPLE GLAZED CARROTS RECIPE
Maple Glazed Carrots Recipe
- 1 lb. Carrots
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tbsp Bourbon
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/8-1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 or more Tbsp Parsley Optional
- Cut washed and peeled carrots down the center to create a flat cook surface.
- Heat olive oil on medium-hi in a cast iron or heavy bottom skillet. Once the oil is hot, add the carrots (work in batches) so that each is flat to the pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes without moving the carrots.
- Flip carrots and cook for an additional 3 – 5 minutes until both sides are caramelized.
- Add the remaining 3/4 Tbsp. olive oil and repeat with second batch of carrots.
- Once all carrots have been cooked on both sides, return all carrots to skillet.
- Add sauce and reduce the heat to medium. Continue to cook until the sauce reduces by 1/3 and the carrots are fork tender.
- Transfer everything to a serving platter. Garnish with fresh parsley and lemon wedges. Serve immediately.