This favorite Cornbread Cowboy Casserole with Ground Beef is a hearty one-dish meal the whole family will love.
This main dish is loaded with hearty beef, corn, black beans, gooey cheese, and a sweet cornbread topping, making the ultimate easy dinner. You'll want to make this recipe on repeat every Taco Tuesday.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you decide to purchase through my link, I may earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you.
- Why you will love this cowboy casserole cornbread recipe
- Ingredients for cowboy cornbread casserole
- Step-by-step instructions to make cowboy cornbread casserole
- Kitchen supplies to make ground beef cornbread casserole
- Storage and make-ahead
- Substitutions and Tips
- What to serve with cowboy casserole
- More casserole recipes
- Cornbread Cowboy Casserole
Why you will love this cowboy casserole cornbread recipe
Hearty: Simple ingredients come together for a hearty meal. Ground beef, black beans, and cheese add protein and substance to the casserole, making it a robust and filling dish. It's delicious and a substantial meal that will leave you feeling full and satisfied.
Family-favorite: This cowboy cornbread casserole recipe is a meal the whole family will love. The familiar kid-friendly ingredients make this casserole an excellent choice for a family meal.
Versatile: Feel free to change the meat and veggies, modify the cheese, and layer with your favorite taco or Mexican-inspired toppings. I like to serve it with sour cream, cilantro, and Pico de gallo.
Easy: No need to worry about preparing this easy recipe; it comes together effortlessly for a hearty meal. Get the kids in the kitchen to help make this delicious casserole.
Ingredients for cowboy cornbread casserole
You will find a complete list of ingredients in the recipe card below.
- Ground Beef - Use lean ground beef.
- Red Bell Pepper - Red bell peppers add some color and crunch.
- Onion - Diced onions add to the flavor. Any onion, whether it be a yellow onion or white onion, will work well.
- Tomatoes with Green Chilies - Canned tomatoes with green chilies add flavor and some texture. A can of Rotel tomatoes is always a good choice.
- Salsa - Use your favorite jarred salsa from the grocery store or make your own.
- Seasonings - Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, Cumin, Salt, Black Pepper
- Black Beans - Be sure to drain and rinse your black beans.
- Cheese - I used a combination of Monterrey Jack Cheese and Cheddar Cheese.
- Cornbread Mix- Use a store-bought cornbread mix or Jiffy cornbread mix.
- Melted Butter
- Sour Cream - Sour cream adds creaminess to the cornbread. You can also top the casserole with a dollop of sour cream.
Step-by-step instructions to make cowboy cornbread casserole
Step1: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Step 2: Over medium-high heat, brown ground beef with onion and red bell pepper in a large skillet until the vegetables have softened and there is no more pink left in the meat. Drain excess grease.
Step 3: Mix tomatoes with green chilies, salsa, corn, black beans, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, black pepper and salt. Simmer on the stovetop for 10 minutes.
Step 4: Transfer the ground beef mixture into a prepared 9 x 13 casserole dish. Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top of the meat mixture.
Step 5: Combine the cornbread mix, cream corn, egg, and sour cream.
Step 6: Add cornbread mixture to the top of the cheese. Spread into an even layer. The cornbread batter does not have to completely cover the casserole.
Step 7: Bake for 30 - 40 minutes in the preheated oven until the cornbread is cooked through, golden brown and the casserole is bubbly. Serve the cowboy casserole recipe immediately.
Yes, if you'd like to make a vegetarian casserole you can use a plant-based ground beef substitute or use beans instead of the ground beef.
Yes, absolutely! If you want to change up the beef, modify the veggies or use a different cheese you can most definitely do so.
Yes, you can make this casserole ahead of time. Cowboy casserole can be made a few days ahead of time and stored in an airtight container. The casserole can also be assembled and stored unbaked in the fridge for up to two days so you all you need to do is pop it in the oven on those busy weeknights.
Storage and make-ahead
Make ahead: Cowboy casserole can be made a few days ahead of time and stored in an airtight container. The casserole can also be assembled and stored unbaked in the fridge for up to two days, so all you need to do is pop it in the oven on those busy weeknights.
Fridge: Leftover cowboy cornbread casserole will keep for 3 - 4 days in the refrigerator.
Freezer: You can freeze cowboy casserole for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in the oven or the microwave. Cover tightly with aluminum foil if reheating in the oven so it doesn't dry out.
Substitutions and Tips
- Swap the ground beef for ground turkey or chicken, or use canned beans instead of meat for a vegetarian casserole.
- Use store-bought taco seasoning instead of individual spices.
- Lightly spray the baking dish with cooking spray, so clean up is easier.
- Tomato sauce is a good backup option for salsa and pico de gallo.
What to serve with cowboy casserole
Though perfect as a one-dish meal, here are a few options you can serve with the cornbread casserole:
- Broccoli Cauliflower Salad With Bacon
- Wedge Salad
- Sheet Pan Sausage and Veggies
- Brussels Sprouts With Bacon
More casserole recipes
Cornbread Cowboy Casserole
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown ground beef with onion and red bell pepper in a large pan until the vegetables have softened and there is no more pink left in the meat. Drain excess grease.1 pound Ground Beef, ½ cup Red Bell Pepper, ½ cup Onion
- Mix in tomatoes with green chilies, salsa, corn, pinto beans, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, black pepper and salt. Simmer on the stove top for 10 minutes.15 ounce can Tomatoes with Green Chilies, 1 cup Salsa, 1 ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder, 1 teaspoon Cumin, 3 teaspoon Chili Powder, ½ teaspoon Black Pepper, ¼ teaspoon Salt, 15 ounce can Corn, 15 ounce can Black Beans
- Transfer the ground beef mixture into a prepared 9 x 13 baking dish. Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top of the beef.½ cup Monterrey Jack Cheese, ½ cup Cheddar Cheese
- Combine the cornbread mix, cream corn, egg, and sour cream.1 Jiffy Cornbread Mix, 2 tablespoons Melted Butter, 1 Egg, ½ cup Sour Cream, 1 cup Cream Corn
- Add cornbread mixture to the top of the cheese. Spread out into an even layer. The mixture does not have to completely cover the casserole.
- Bake for 30 - 40 minutes until the cornbread is cooked through and the casserole is bubbly. Serve immediately.