Simply Potatoes Breakfast Casserole hits all the high notes for a warm, satisfying breakfast on a cold winter day.
This cheesy hashbrown breakfast casserole is the perfect dish for the entire family and has everything you could want in a breakfast with gooey cheese enveloping sausage, eggs, and veggies.
Make this delicious casserole on a family vacation, a girl's getaway trip, or Christmas morning!
Original Recipe: December 2020 | Update: September 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you decide to purchase through my link, I may earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you.
Why you will love this recipe
Make Ahead - This delicious breakfast casserole dish keeps great in the fridge or freezer. Make it ahead and pop it in the oven when you're ready!
Easy - This easy recipe takes less than 10 minutes to assemble, and your oven does the rest!
Simple Ingredients - If you don't already have these ingredients, they are easy to find at your local grocery store!
Meal Planning - This recipe is perfect when planning a meal for guests. You will only need to spend a little time in the kitchen. I think it's the perfect holiday breakfast!
Here's what you'll need for this easy breakfast bake:
- Country Style Hash browns - I like a diced potato when making this recipe, but you can certainly use shredded potatoes or tater tots. Be sure they are thawed. If you start with frozen hash browns, the cooking time will increase.
- Eggs - They cook up perfectly in this easy breakfast casserole.
- Half & Half - Milk will work as a substitute.
- Butter - Adds flavor.
- Hot Sauce - This ingredient is optional but is great if you like a little spice! You could also try red pepper flakes to heat it up.
- Black Pepper - Pepper adds a little bit of a kick to this cheesy breakfast casserole.
- Breakfast Sausage - You could substitute bacon, turkey sausage, or a combination. Be sure to buy ground breakfast sausage for this recipe.
- Shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack Cheese - The combination of Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese makes the cheese melt perfectly. Pepper Jack cheese would be a good substitute if you like an extra kick.
- Diced Onion and Red Bell Pepper - You could also add mushrooms, green bell pepper or any of your favorite veggies.
How to make simply potatoes breakfast casserole
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
Step 3: Add butter, red bell peppers, and onion in the same skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until the vegetables have softened. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
Step 4: In a large bowl, add eggs, half & half, hot sauce, salt, black pepper and half of the cheese. Whisk until the eggs are well beaten. Add the thawed hash browns, cooked sausage, and vegetables to the egg mixture. Mix until well combined.
Step 5: Pour the egg mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Top with the cheese and bake for 45 - 50 minutes or until the egg has set. If your casserole is runny, it is not done yet. Continue to cook, checking every 5 minutes.
What to serve with this easy hashbrown breakfast casserole
Although this is a complete meal with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of green onions, here are some more side ideas:
Fresh Fruit Salad: Serve this dish for Sunday brunch with a light and refreshing fruit salad that will complement the casserole's richness with a burst of natural sweetness.
Sliced Avocado: Creamy avocado slices add a creamy and nutritious element to the plate.
Toast or English Muffins: Serve with toast or toasted English muffins for a crispy texture contrast and a vehicle for spreading butter or jam.
Yogurt with Berries: A small bowl of yogurt topped with fresh berries or a drizzle of honey adds a creamy and tangy element to your breakfast spread.
Coffee or Juice: Offer coffee, tea, or fresh fruit juice to complete the meal and provide beverage options for your guests.
Yes! If you do not thaw the hash browns, it will affect the cooking time.
After defrosting your hash browns, make sure to drain them of extra liquid. If the eggs are still runny, continue to cook the casserole in 5 minute increments.
Yes! Prepare your overnight breakfast casserole, cover it with plastic wrap, and cook it the following day.
Yes! Store an extra casserole in the freezer for up to 3 months. Be sure to freeze in an airtight container or freezer bag. After thawing in the fridge, place the casserole in a prepared baking dish and follow the baking instructions. It may be necessary to add a few minutes to the cooking time.
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPE
Biscuits and Gravy - You'll love how quick and easy this creamy gravy comes together.
Breakfast Cookies - The perfect excuse to eat cookies for breakfast!
Sausage Quiche - This quiche is loaded with fresh asparagus, breakfast sausage, and cheddar cheese. The texture is silky creamy, and surprisingly quick and easy to make.
Avocado Toast - One of my favorite ways to start the day.
Caramelized Onion Quiche - Another deep dish quiche variety that is absolutely delicious.
Simply Potatoes Breakfast Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small skillet, brown breakfast sausage. Remove from skillet and drain sausage on a paper towel-lined plate.1 pound Breakfast Sausage
- Add butter, red bell peppers, and onion in the same skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until the vegetables have softened. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.½ cup Diced Onion, ½ cup Diced Red Bell Pepper, 2 Tablespoon Butter
- In a medium-sized bowl, add eggs, half & half, hot sauce, salt, black pepper and half of the cheese. Whisk until the eggs are well beaten. Add the thawed hash browns, cooked sausage, and vegetables to the egg mixture. Mix until well combined.8 Eggs, ½ cup Half and Half, 1 teaspoon Hot Sauce, ½ teaspoon Pepper, 20 ounces Country Style Hash Browns, 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, 1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese
- Pour the egg mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Top with the cheese and bake for 45 - 50 minutes or until the egg has set. If your casserole is runny, it is not done yet. Continue to cook, checking every 5 minutes.
- Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!