Instant Pot Tuna Noodle Casserole is a comfort food classic. The combination of flaky tuna and tender egg noodles in a creamy homemade sauce makes for a fabulous quick and easy weeknight dinner.
WHAT'S GREAT ABOUT THIS RECIPE
- Most of the ingredients are pantry staples.
- It's an easy recipe that's ready in under 30 minutes from start to finish.
- The recipe is super creamy without using cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery soup.
- This top-rated casserole recipe is an easy dinner that family and friends will love.
- It's a one pot dish making it perfect for busy weeknights!
STEP BY STEP DIRECTIONS TO MAKE INSTANT POT TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE RECIPE FROM SCRATCH
Full Directions and Tips
STEP 1: Set out 1 cup of frozen peas so that they will begin to thaw.
STEP 2: Drain tuna and add to Instant Pot. Albacore Tuna packed in water is my favorite, but any canned tuna will work.
STEP 3: Add 4 cups chicken broth (water or vegetable broth can be substituted here), 4 oz of cubed cream cheese, and a 12 oz package of egg noodles to the pot.
PRO TIP: If using several opened bags of pasta, be sure to weigh the pasta to ensure that you have exactly 12 oz. Using too much pasta will cause the casserole to be dry.
STEP 4: Add ½ teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon garlic powder and ½ teaspoon onion powder to the mixture and give everything a quick stir.
STEP 5: Place lid on Instant Pot, turn pressure valve to the sealed position, press Manual and set the time for 3 minutes. It will take the pot a few minutes to come to pressure.
STEP 6: When the 3 minutes of high pressure is finished, do a quick release. Once the pin has dropped, all the remaining pressure will have released. Carefully open Instant Pot and stir in a 5 oz can evaporated milk (instead of heavy whipping cream) and 1 ½ cup cheddar cheese, and 1 cup peas. Stir everything together.
STEP 7: Let casserole sit, giving it a stir occasionally, until the peas are warmed through and the cheese is melted. If it seems to runny, don't worry it will thicken as it sits.
STEP 8: Now squeeze in 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice. I love how the lemon brightens this dish.
STEP 9: Garnish with fresh parsley (optional) and serve immediately.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH INSTANT POT TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE?
A simple green salad is my favorite side dish to go with this tuna casserole recipe. Crusty bread, steamed broccoli, or Maple Glazed Carrots are more options that pair well with tuna noodle casserole.
ADD A CRUNCHY TOPPING
Mix together ¼ cup melted butter and 1 cup Panko bread crumbs.
Crush 1 to 1 ½ cups potato chips.
Transfer casserole to a baking dish and top with a preferred crunchy topping. Place under the broiler until the topping becomes golden brown. Watch carefully, it shouldn't take more than 2-3 minutes.
HOW TO KEEP TUNA CASSEROLE FROM GETTING DRY
The key is to have enough moisture when cooking the pasta. Be sure to add exactly 12 oz of pasta and do not cook longer than 3 minutes.
This recipe is super creamy from the cream cheese and evaporated milk but can dry out after refrigerating. When rewarming, add a bit of milk or heavy cream before heating in the microwave.
Storage: Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
REWARMING INSTANT POT TUNA PASTA
Microwave: In a microwave safe dish, add a little bit of milk or cream to the pasta and microwave in 30 second increments until the casserole is warmed through.
Stovetop: In a small sauce pan, warm casserole over low heat with a small amount of cream or milk until heated through.
MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES
INSTANT POT TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE
Instant Pot Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Instant Pot
- 2 10 oz Tuna Packed in water
- 4 oz Cream Cheese Cubed
- 12 oz Egg Noodles
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- 4 cup Chicken Broth or Water
- 5 oz Evaporated Milk
- 1 ½ cup Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- Remove 1 cup peas from freezer so that they can begin to thaw.
- Drain tuna and add to Instant Pot.
- Add 4 cups chicken broth, 4 oz of cubed cream cheese, and a 12 oz package of egg noodles to the pot.
- Add ½ tsp pepper, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp garlic powder and ½ tsp onion powder to the mixture.
- Give everything a quick stir.
- Place lid on Instant Pot, turn vent to sealed position, press MANUAL and set the time for 3 minutes. It will take the pot a few minutes to come to pressure.
- When the 3 minutes is finished, do a quick release.
- Once the pin has dropped, carefully open Instant Pot.
- Stir in a 5 oz can of evaporated milk, 1 ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese and 1 cup peas.
- Let the pasta sit until the cheese is melted and the peas are warmed through.
- Stir in 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
If you make this recipe, please let me know! I'd love to hear how it turned out in the comments below.