Instant Pot Tuna Noodle Casserole is a comfort food classic. The combination of flaky tuna and tender egg noodles in a creamy homemade sauce makes for a fabulous quick and easy weeknight dinner.
WHAT'S GREAT ABOUT THIS RECIPE
- Most of the ingredients are pantry staples.
- It's an easy recipe that's ready in under 30 minutes from start to finish.
- The recipe is super creamy without using cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery soup.
- This top-rated casserole recipe is an easy dinner that family and friends will love.
- It's a one pot dish making it perfect for busy weeknights!
STEP 1: Set out 1 cup of frozen peas so that they will begin to thaw.
STEP 2: Drain tuna and add to Instant Pot. Albacore Tuna packed in water is my favorite, but any canned tuna will work.
STEP 3: Add 4 cups chicken broth (water or vegetable broth can be substituted here), 4 oz of cubed cream cheese, and a 12 oz package of egg noodles to the pot.
PRO TIP: If using several opened bags of pasta, be sure to weigh the pasta to ensure that you have exactly 12 oz. Using too much pasta will cause the casserole to be dry.
STEP 4: Add ½ teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon garlic powder and ½ teaspoon onion powder to the mixture and give everything a quick stir.
STEP 5: Place lid on Instant Pot, turn pressure valve to the sealed position, press manual and set the time for 3 minutes. It will take the pot a few minutes to come to pressure.
STEP 6: When the 3 minutes of high pressure is finished, do a quick release. Once the pin has dropped, all the remaining pressure will have released.
Carefully open Instant Pot and stir in a 5 oz can evaporated milk (instead of heavy whipping cream) and 1 ½ cup cheddar cheese, and 1 cup peas. Stir everything together.
STEP 7: Let casserole sit, giving it a stir occasionally, until the peas are warmed through and the cheese is melted. If it seems to runny, don't worry it will thicken as it sits.
STEP 8: Now squeeze in 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice. I love how the lemon brightens this dish.
STEP 9: Garnish with fresh parsley (optional) and serve immediately.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH INSTANT POT TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE?
A simple green salad is my favorite side dish to go with this tuna casserole recipe. Crusty bread, steamed broccoli, or Maple Glazed Carrots are more options that pair well with tuna noodle casserole.
ADD A CRUNCHY TOPPING
- Bread Crumbs - Mix together ¼ cup melted butter and 1 cup Panko bread crumbs.
- Potato Chips - Crush 1 to 1 ½ cups potato chips.
Transfer casserole to a baking dish and top with a preferred crunchy topping. Place under the broiler until the topping becomes golden brown. Watch carefully, it shouldn't take more than 2-3 minutes.
HOW TO KEEP TUNA CASSEROLE FROM GETTING DRY
The key is to have enough moisture when cooking the pasta. Be sure to add exactly 12 oz of pasta and do not cook longer than 3 minutes.
This recipe is super creamy from the cream cheese and evaporated milk but can dry out after refrigerating. When rewarming, add a bit of milk or heavy cream before heating in the microwave.
WANT TO STORE LEFTOVER PASTA FOR LATER? HERE'S HOW...
Storage: Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
HOW TO REWARM INSTANT POT TUNA PASTA
Microwave: In a microwave safe dish, add a little bit of milk or cream to the pasta and microwave in 30 second increments until the casserole is warmed through.
Stovetop: In a small sauce pan, warm casserole over low heat with a small amount of cream or milk until heated through.
MORE MEMORABLE INSTANT POT RECIPES
INSTANT POT TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE
Instant Pot Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Remove 1 cup peas from freezer so that they can begin to thaw. Drain tuna and add to Instant Pot.
- Add 4 cups chicken broth, 4 oz of cubed cream cheese, and a 12 oz package of egg noodles to the pot.
- Add ½ tsp pepper, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp garlic powder and ½ tsp onion powder to the mixture. Give everything a quick stir.
- Place lid on instant pot, turn vent to sealed position, press MANUAL and set the time for 3 minutes. It will take the pot a few minutes to come to pressure. When the 3 minutes is finished, do a quick release. When the 3 minutes is finished, do a quick release.
- Stir in a 5 oz can of evaporated milk, 1 ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese and 1 cup peas. Let the pasta sit until the cheese is melted and the peas are warmed through.
- Stir in 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice and garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.