This light and delicious Mandarin Orange Jello Salad with Cottage Cheese makes a great addition to any dessert table.
This family favorite never ceases to please. Made by combining orange-flavored gelatin with a mixture of cool whip, mandarin oranges, cottage cheese, and crushed pineapple you'll love serving this as a side dish or offering it on your dessert table.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you decide to purchase through my link, I may earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you.
- Why you'll love this 5 minute Mandarin Orange Jello Salad
- Cottage cheese salad with orange Jello ingredients
- How to make mandarin orange Jello salad recipe
- Tips For Making This Easy Mandarin Orange Salad Recipe
- Cottage cheese orange jello salad variations
- How to store mandarin orange Jello salad
- More holiday side dish recipes
- Mandarin Orange Jello Salad (Thanksgiving Salad)
This easy recipe is a staple at all my mother-in-law's holiday meals and family gatherings. Not only does she serve this great recipe for Thanksgiving, Easter and Christmas dinner, she also serves it with her famous potato dumplings.
I'll be carrying on the tradition of this favorite recipe with my family for always!
Why you'll love this 5 minute Mandarin Orange Jello Salad
- Sweet - Marshmallows, pineapple and mandarins make this salad nice and sweet.
- Fast - This salad takes just minutes to prepare. Place it in the fridge to chill while you prepare the other dishes.
- Crowd-pleaser - Everyone loves this delicious salad.
- Affordable - Nothing super fancy or expensive in this salad, just simple ingredients.
- Versatile - Perfect for a weeknight dessert or special occasion.
- Flavorful: This orange jello fruit salad has a bright citrus flavor and makes the perfect sweet treat.
Cottage cheese salad with orange Jello ingredients
- Cottage Cheese - Any kind of cottage cheese will work in this recipe, full fat or low fat.
- Mandarin Oranges - Canned mandarin oranges add some sweetness to this easy mandarin orange jello salad. I always keep a few cans of mandarin oranges in the pantry so I can make this favorite side dish.
- Mini Marshmallows - I used colored mini marshmallows but white will also work. If you can't find mini marshmallows use the big ones and cut them into smaller pieces.
- Non- Dairy Whipped Topping - Whipped topping makes this Jello salad creamy and decadent.
- Crushed Pineapple - Canned crushed pineapple adds the perfect note of sweet and tart.
- Orange Gelatin - Orange Jello mix gives this delicious dessert its bright color.
How to make mandarin orange Jello salad recipe
Step 1: In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, orange gelatin and drained crushed pineapple.
Step 2: Gently fold in whip topping and mini marshmallows until just combined. Finish by mixing in the mandarin oranges. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
Step 3: Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. This recipe is best served cold, but will still be good at room temperature.
Tips For Making This Easy Mandarin Orange Salad Recipe
- Make sure you drain the pineapple and mandarin oranges before adding them to this sweet salad.
- Be sure to mix the gelatin, cottage cheese and pineapple first.
- Resist the urge to use homemade whipped topping, the non-dairy version will hold up better.
- Add a second can of mandarin oranges if you wish.
- Add pecans or walnuts, toast them for a deeper flavor. (My mother-in-law always does.)
- Garnish the fruit salad with additional mandarin oranges or whatever fresh fruit you have on hand. Maraschino cherries are pretty when served on top.
It is best to use store bought whipped topping so that salad will hold its shape.
If you find your salad is watery it could be because you did not drain the canned fruit well enough. You can add more marshmallows to soak up the excess liquid and put it back in the fridge to set.
Yes, you most certainly can make this salad in advance. The salad will keep for a few days in the fridge.
Yes, if you have fresh mandarins you can use them instead. Make sure they are ripe and in season or they won't be sweet enough.
Mandarin orange salad can be served as a delicious side dish or dessert. The choice is yours!
Cottage cheese orange jello salad variations
- Use different flavors of jello powder. Instead of orange use lemon, strawberry or lime flavored jello. Instant vanilla pudding is also an option though you'll lose the bright color.
- Substitute ricotta cheese for the cottage cheese in this orange gelatin salad.
- Add softened cream cheese or mascarpone cheese to the salad for a richer flavor.
- Top the salad with marshmallow fluff.
- Try pineapple chunks or pineapple tidbits instead of crushed pineapple.
- For a lower calorie salad, use sugar-free jello.
How to store mandarin orange Jello salad
Store leftover mandarin orange jello salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. I do not recommend freezing this salad.
More holiday side dish recipes
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes With Pecans
- Maple Glazed Carrots
- Simple Pesto Potato Salad
- Fingerling Potatoes
Mandarin Orange Jello Salad (Thanksgiving Salad)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cottage cheese, orange gelatin and drained crushed pineapple.24 ounce Cottage Cheese, 6 ounce Orange Jello Gelatin, 20 ounce Crushed Pineapple
- Gently fold in whip topping and mini marshmallows until just combined. Finish by mixing in the mandarin oranges.3 cup Mini Marshmallows, 4 ounce Non-Dairy Whipped Topping, 11 ounce Mandarin Oranges
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.